Combine all ingredients and allow to chill at least an hour. Can be used to baste chicken also.
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup pickle brine
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp each lemon juice and zest
Kosher salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
Several dashes of hot sauce
1. In a large stock pot, evenly sprinkle kosher salt over your entire chicken, including the inside. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes before coating the bird in buttermilk.
2. Cover and refrigerate for at least overnight to 24 hours. For the compound butter, combine ingredients until thoroughly mixed. You can also do this in a food processor.
3. Add compound butter to plastic wrap, roll into a log, and freeze.
4. 30 minutes before cooking, take chicken out of the refrigerator and preheat grill/smoker/oven. If grilling set up your charcoal for indirect cooking, or your gas grill for indirect cooking. If using a smoker, preheat to 275. Preheat your oven to 425 if cooking inside.
5. Pat chicken dry, cut compound butter into coins, and place under the skin. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
For the grill, grill indirect until your chicken is 150 degrees, and then move over to direct heat to get the skin crispy and your chicken reaches 165.
For the smoker, increase the temp to to 350 once your chicken hits 150 to crisp the skin. Alternatively, decrease your oven to 375 after the first 15 minutes of cooking.