This egg casserole is loaded with veggies and sausage, perfect to serve a crowd or meal prep for the week. It can be made dairy free and gluten free with a ton of flavor!
I’ve been cooking since I was around 7 years old and creating new breakfast recipes may be a hobby of mine, especially when it includes our delicious pastured pork and fresh eggs. When I was a kid, my mom let me stand on a dining room chair in front of the stove while I cooked scrambled eggs for my audience. I would pretend I was on the Food Network teaching my audience how to make the best breakfast while talking into the spatula staring at my microwave “teleprompter”. Let’s just say I’m glad cell phones weren’t around back then because my momma would have some serious footage on me.
This recipe is a great way to start your day off on the right with lots of nutritious vegetables and protein. I hope you enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Spray (olive/avocado/coconut oil)
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage, buy ours here.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can tomatoes, drained
- 12 eggs, buy ours for local pick up here.
- ½ cup of milk or non-dairy alternative.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin to chop your onion, bell pepper, spinach/kale and any other vegetables you’d like to add. More great options would be: roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash, mushrooms.
- Once the sausage is browned, remove it from the hot skillet and set in a bowl to the side. Add your onions and bell pepper to the skillet with the sausage grease. Cook until translucent, about 5-6 minutes then add your spinach or kale. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the greens to wilt. Remove from heat and transfer veggies to the same bowl with the sausage.
- Spray cooking spray in a 9x13 glass baking dish then add your sausage and vegetables to the bottom of the dish.
- Whisk eggs, milk, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper into the bowl then pour on top of the sausage & veggie mixture in the baking dish. Optional: add cheese to the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set, about 25 minutes. Cook times can vary depending on ovens and baking dishes. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
SHOP OUR PASTURE RAISED MEATS HERE.